2018 - 2019 CATALOG 
    
    Sep 24, 2018  
2018 - 2019 CATALOG

Facilities



University Housing

University students currently may live in one of six large residence halls, seven Small Living Units (SLUs), five residential houses, or six national fraternity houses.

All residential facilities are directly overseen by a professionally trained, full-time Master’s level Residential Life Coordinator (RLC) and a student staff of Resident Assistants (RA) and SLU Moderators. The RLCs have had graduate training as well as experience in counseling, residence hall work, and the general area of student development. All fraternity houses have either an RA or a non-student Fraternity House Director (FHD).

Living in an on-campus residential learning community throughout student’s college career is an integral part of the Ohio Wesleyan University experience. As a residential university, we require full-time enrolled students to live on campus unless they meet one of the following exceptions:

  1. They reside with parents or legal guardians at their primary place of residence within 30 miles driving distance of campus. The student must provide documentation that the address given is the bona fide primary place of residence of the parents or guardians. “Primary place of residence” is defined as the one place where an owner of the property has his/her true, fixed, and permanent home, and it shall continue as a primary place of residence until another primary place of residence is established. If the parents or legal guardians rent—rather than own—their primary place of residence, copies of leases reflecting the necessary continuous period of occupancy must be provided. Further documentation may be required at the discretion of the Residential Life staff.
  2. They are 23 years of age or older during the academic year for which an exception is requested.
  3. They are fifth-year seniors.
  4. They are legally married (must provide documentation).
  5. They are parents of dependent children (must provide documentation).
  6. They have medical or psychological conditions that cannot be accommodated by the University. Ohio Wesleyan is committed to making accommodations in our residences for medical or psychological conditions for which a student has been diagnosed by a licensed health care provider. These accommodations are made in consultation with University personnel including representatives from Student Health Services, Counseling Services, and the Disability Services Center. In rare circumstances when the University is unable to make accommodations as determined by these University personnel, the student will be granted an exception.

If a student who is approved for a housing exemption based on criteria No. 1 above (residing with parents or legal guardians at their primary residence) is later found to be residing somewhere else, the University reserves the right to require the student to move back on campus with applicable room and board charges and to refer the student to the student conduct system.

Residence Halls

Bashford Hall (1956), named in honor of Bishop James Bashford, fourth President of Ohio Wesleyan, provides living space for 136 men and women. Bashford Hall is single-gender by floor, with men and women each occupying two floors of the building. Most rooms are double occupancy, and bath facilities are shared by all residents on the floor. There is a common lounge on the first floor, while a recreation room, as well as kitchen and laundry facilities, are located on the lower level.

Lucy Webb Hayes Hall (1963) provides living space for 196 women. A lounge/study room is located on each floor and a computer lab is available on the ground floor. The hall is named in memory of Mrs. Webb Hayes, the University’s first female student and later the wife of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President of the United States. Most suites feature two bedrooms, a common study room, a bath, and built-in desks and dressers. Hayes features recently renovated kitchen and community areas on each floor.

Smith Hall (1968) houses 369 men and women in two five-story wings separated by a two-story community area. Included among the building’s facilities are study rooms on each floor, meeting rooms, and a recreation room. The building is named in honor of Dr. Elden T. Smith and his wife, Betty Smith. Dr. Smith was the University’s 11th President.

Stuyvesant Hall (1930) is Ohio Wesleyan’s oldest residence hall. Originally built with a generous gift from the late Frank E. Stuyvesant, and fully renovated in 2012, the hall accommodates 243 men and women. Suites include two double-occupancy rooms joined by a shared bath. Stuyvesant Hall–complete with a courtyard, chime tower, study rooms on each floor, and numerous unique common spaces—embodies the tradition and history of Ohio Wesleyan.

Thomson Hall (1954) houses 109 men and women and is single-gender by floor. Most students live in two-person rooms, and bath facilities are shared by all residents on the floor. Additional study lounges are on the second and third floors, while a kitchen and common room are located on the first floor. Laundry facilities are located on the lower level. Thomson Hall is named for Bishop Edward Thomson, first President of Ohio Wesleyan.

Welch Hall (1963), renovated in 2012, is an honors residence hall for 195 men and women. Students must achieve a 3.0 GPA and observe the 24-hour quiet policy. It is coed by suite, and each suite contains two double-occupancy bedrooms and a shared bath. Rooms are equipped with built-in desks and dressers. There are kitchens and study rooms on the ground floor, along with a computer lab and TV lounge. Students utilize additional kitchenettes and study rooms throughout the facility. This building is named in honor of Bishop Herbert Welch, Ohio Wesleyan’s fifth President.

Small Living Units

This program consists of seven houses with individual capacities for 12 students. Each house focuses on an interest in and commitment to a thematic program. Currently, OWU’s SLUs include the Tree House, Citizens of the World House, Sexuality and Gender Equality House, Peace and Justice House, Interfaith House, House of Spiritual Athletes, and House of Linguistic Diversity. SLUs offer opportunities for students to live together in a progressive environment that includes helping to educate the campus on their area of special interest. Housing assignments in SLUs are not available to first-year students.

Residential Houses

4 Williams Drive is a former fraternity house that was renovated in 2010. It holds 32 residents, mostly in single-occupancy rooms. The Williams Drive house is exclusively for students in their junior or senior year. It also houses the Office of University Communications.

The Bigelow-Reed House at 23 Williams Drive was renovated in 2010 and is named for two OWU alumni: William F. Bigelow, Class of 1905; and John Reed, HON 2004. The house combines living and learning for students interested in business. With the motto “Where Passion Meets Opportunity,” this living space is a welcome addition to the OWU campus and curriculum.

The Butler A. Jones House of Black Culture at 65 Oak Hill Avenue has been a vital part of the OWU campus since 1970. It is named in honor of Dr. Jones, a former sociology professor known for his work with race relations and the civil rights movement. A new donor-funded House of Black Culture is being built during Fall 2018 with plans to reopen in Spring 2019.

The Gillespie Honors House at 81 Oak Hill Avenue opened in 2017 and houses 27 Honors students. It has a mix of single-occupancy rooms and double-occupancy rooms, as well as a kitchen, laundry room, outdoor fire pit, two conference rooms, and several lounge areas.

The Panhellenic House at 30 Williams Drive houses up to 22 women from each of the University’s National Panhellenic sororities. Introduced as a concept in 2017, the house is the only known dwelling in the United States purposely created to provide women from multiple sororities with a collaborative Greek living and learning environment.

Fraternity Houses

Fraternities may occupy residential houses on campus, per the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that outlines the relationship between the fraternities and residential facilities owned by the University. All fraternity houses have a Resident Assistant. Only active members of the fraternity may reside in the house occupied by that Chapter.

Instructional and Administrative Buildings

Except for Sanborn and Presser Halls, the Student Observatory, and Perkins Observatory, most instructional and administrative buildings are grouped on the eastern portion of campus. The first three are on the western portion of campus, which is primarily residential, while Perkins lies three miles south of campus on U.S. 23. Pritchard House, the President’s home and a gift of Miss Helen Pritchard, Class of 1911, is adjacent to the western campus.

The central, transitional portion of campus, bisected by the JAYwalk, includes the hub of academic life, Beeghly Library, and facilities important to cultural and social activity: Chappelear Drama Center, Hamilton-Williams Campus Center, and Mowry Alumni Center.

The Campus Store, in Hamilton-Williams Campus Center, is owned and operated by the University. The Campus Store is open Monday through Friday and the first Saturday of each semester from 8:45 a.m. until 5 p.m., and on special University weekends.

Branch Rickey Physical Education Center (1976), including four major components, is named for the late Mr. Rickey, Class of 1904, a dominant figure in American baseball for more than 50 years (named by ESPN as the most influential sports figure of the 20th century) and one-time Ohio Wesleyan coach. Two portions were completed in 1976: Rickey Arena, seating 2,300 for basketball and other indoor sports; and Richard Gordon Field House, named for donor Richard Gordon ‘62 and including a 220-yard track, six multipurpose courts for volleyball, basketball, badminton, and tennis, and practice space for other sports. Adjacent to the arena are six courts for handball, racquetball, and squash.

Connected by tunnel to these facilities are Edwards Gymnasium (1906), which served for many years as the University’s principal athletic site, and Simpson Querrey Fitness Center, formerly Pfeiffer Natatorium (1953). These buildings include the new fitness center, Jannuzi Dance Studio, the Morrill Family Strength and Conditioning Room, as well as renovated offices and classrooms. Edwards Gymnasium is on the National Register of Historic Places and was named after the late John Edwards thanks to a gift from his widow and children in 1905.

Chappelear Drama Center (1972) is named for its principal donors, Mr. and Mrs. Monroe Chappelear, of Maplewood, N.J. In addition to the Main Stage, the Center includes the black-box Studio Theatre; faculty offices; scenery, lighting, and costume shops; and other support and storage facilities.

Schimmel/Conrades Science Center (2004) is named for George ‘61 and Patsy Belt ‘63 Conrades, and Paul ‘62 and Cleo Ritz ‘62 Schimmel. The 150,000-square-foot facility houses the Botany/Microbiology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography, Mathematics and Computer Science, Physics and Astronomy and Zoology departments. It features classrooms, labs, Moore Greenhouse, Swallen Herbarium, Schimmel Atrium, and Hobson Science Library. The center includes the former Bigelow-Rice, Kleist, and Stewart Halls.

The R.W. Corns Building, the former Memorial Union Building (MUB), was renovated and renamed in 2000. The building was made possible by a multimillion dollar gift from Evan Corns ‘59, in memory of his father. The building houses the Woltemade Center for Economics, Business and Entrepreneurship; the Economics Department; the Sagan Academic Resource Center; and Information Services.

The Early Childhood Development Center (1961), a gift of the late Charles B. Mills, Class of 1919, a Trustee and former Chairman of the Board, and his late wife, Rachel Mills, is equipped for 30 children. It is also used as a laboratory school for the departments of Education and Psychology.

Edgar Hall, renovated in 2001, houses 2D fine arts classrooms and studios. The building is on the National Register of Historic Places. It is named in honor of University friend E.E. Edgar, who facilitated the building’s purchase in the 1920s.

Elliott Hall (1835) was built as the Mansion House Hotel and later became the University’s original building. It now houses the departments of History, Politics and Government, and Sociology/Anthropology. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was honored in 2003 with an Ohio Bicentennial Marker as the state’s oldest Collegiate Greek Revival Building. In 2014, it was renovated and restored following winter-related interior flooding. It is named for the Rev. Charles Elliott who was instrumental in the establishment of Ohio Wesleyan.

Hamilton-Williams Campus Center (1991) features the Norman Vincent Peale ‘20 Chapel, the Campus Store, student mailboxes, a food court, offices of the Housing Director, Vice President and Office of Student Engagement and Success, Campus Programs director, Women’s Resource Center, lounges and meeting rooms, the University Chaplain, Office of International Student Services, Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, Career Services, and Counseling Services. The building is named in honor of the mother of David Hamilton Smith ‘53.

Haycock Hall, renovated and expanded in 2001, houses the 3D Fine Arts disciplines. It was named in honor of Professor Emeritus of Fine Arts Everett “Ebb” Haycock.

Jay Martin Soccer Complex houses Roy Rike Field and practice areas used by the Battling Bishop men’s and women’s soccer teams. The complex is named in honor of legendary men’s soccer coach Jay Martin – the winningest coach in all divisions of U.S. collegiate men’s soccer in history.

Littick Field (1969) is the site of varsity baseball and practice diamonds and practice football fields.

Margaret Sagan Field is named for its primary benefactor, Margaret Pickett Sagan ‘48, and is the venue for women’s softball.

Meek Aquatics and Recreation Center is named for Phillip ‘59 and Nancy LaPorte ‘59 Meek. It opened in Fall 2010 as Ohio Wesleyan’s first “green” building, heated and cooled with assistance from more than 90 geothermal wells.

Merrick Hall (1873) was originally named the Alumni Building and Science Hall, and the third floor, initially built as a chapel, housed the Science Museum. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Thanks to an anonymous $8 million gift, Merrick Hall was fully renovated in 2015 and is now the home of The OWU Connection, the University’s signature experience.

The Frances E. Mowry Memorial Alumni Center (1986) is a gift from E.J. Benes and his wife, Frances E. Mowry Benes, Class of 1932. The center houses the Office of University Advancement, as well as the large Monnett Room.

Perkins Observatory (1924) is one of the nation’s most important astronomical research centers.

Phillips Hall (1958) was the gift of the late Ellis and Kathryn Sisson (Class of 1901) Phillips. It holds the offices and classrooms of the departments of Education, Journalism, Philosophy, Psychology, and Religion.

Richard M. Ross Art Museum (2003) is named after the late photographer and founder of Ross Laboratories through a gift by his wife, Libby Ross. Located in Delaware’s original post office, the Ross Art Museum hosts several exhibits each year and is home to the Humphreys Gallery.

Sanborn Hall (1909), home to the Department of Music, was rededicated in 1983 following extensive renovation in the final phase of the “Renaissance in Music” program. Presser Hall was added in 1980 and is an excellent rehearsal facility. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Selby Stadium, including the George Gauthier Track, (1929), the University’s main athletic stadium, seats 9,100 spectators primarily for football, lacrosse, and track and field. An “all-weather” track was installed in 1985 as a gift from alumni and friends. An OmniGrass artificial playing surface and lights have been installed, making Selby one of the most impressive venues among NCAA Division III institutions. An interactive scoreboard was added in 2012. An Ameritan FP surface has been added to the track. Selby Stadium is believed to be the oldest facility in the nation constructed to Olympic specifications and remaining in its original configuration. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Slocum Hall (1898) served as the University library until 1966. The building now houses the Black World Studies, Classics, and Women’s and Gender Studies programs, in addition to the Offices of Admission and Financial Aid, and several classrooms. The building boasts a breathtaking 70-foot-by-20-foot leaded-glass ceiling. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Student Observatory (1897) is used for elementary astronomy laboratories. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Sturges Hall (1855) was constructed as the University’s first library and now houses the departments of English and Comparative Literature. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

University Hall (1893), home of Gray Chapel, contains numerous administrative offices, including that of the President, as well as faculty offices and classrooms. Gray Chapel is among the region’s preeminent concert halls, having reopened in 1980 after extensive renovation and the installation of the Rexford Keller Memorial Concert Organ, constructed and installed by Klais Orgelbau of Germany and completely upgraded and retuned in 2013. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

University Offices

University offices are open from 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, throughout the academic year. Summer hours are 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Academic Advising R.W. Corns 324
Academic Affairs University Hall 107
Accounting University Hall 018
Admission Slocum Hall 110
Audiovisual Beeghly Library
Buildings and Grounds Maintenance Building
Career Services Office Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 324
Cashier University Hall 018
Chaplain’s Office Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 308
Counseling Center Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 324
Duplicating Schimmel/Conrades Science Center 184
Finance and Administration University Hall 016
Financial Aid Slocum Hall 246
Fraternity and Sorority Life Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 143
Hamilton-Williams Coordinator/Reservationist Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 143
Health Services Stuyvesant Hall
Information Systems R.W. Corns 100
International and Off-Campus Programs Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 213
Lost and Found (Information Desk) Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 143
Mail Room University Hall 003
President’s Office University Hall 101
Provost’s Office University Hall 108
Public Safety Office Smith Hall First Floor
Registrar’s Office University Hall 007
Residential Life Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 225
Sagan Academic Resource Center R.W. Corns 316
Student Accounts University Hall 012
Student Conduct Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 225
Student Involvement Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 143
Student Affairs Office Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 230
University Advancement Mowry Alumni Center
University Communications 4 Williams Drive

Student Offices

Campus Programming Board Hamilton-Williams Campus Center
IFC/Panhellenic Council Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 208
Intramurals Edwards Gymnasium
OWL Sturges Hall 305
OWU Radio, The Line Phillips Hall 106
Spectrum Resource Center Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 218
The Transcript Phillips Hall 106
WCSA Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 210
Women’s Resource Center Hamilton-Williams Campus Center 207